Did you know August 3rd is National Watermelon Day? Watermelon is a great option if you are looking to keep hydrated as well as satisfy your sweet tooth.
An excellent nutritional benefit of watermelon is that it contains lycopene and beta-carotene. These are antioxidants that help protect your heart, skin and vision! Research has shown consuming a diet rich in antioxidants can even help protect you from certain types of cancer.
Enjoy watermelon this August in a variety of ways. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Eat the traditional way – sliced or in chunks
- Try watermelon in a fruit salad (RD Tip: you will boost your antioxidant consumption if you include a variety of other colored fruits)
- Enjoy over a bed of greens
- Freeze watermelon chunks for a tasty way to cool down
- Grill watermelon for a unique BBQ option
- Add chunks of watermelon to your water for a burst of flavor
The options are endless when it comes to adding watermelon to your diet this August. When looking to purchase watermelon, look for one that is heavy for its size with a smooth and dull rind. The underside of the watermelon should be a creamy yellow color for peak ripeness.