Let’s face it. Sometimes you do not have time to go to the Dining Commons for your meal. In these instances, it is important to have a backup in your dorm room that is both nutritious and satisfying. Staples I like to have on hand include canned tuna or chicken in water, Greek yogurt, oatmeal and canned beans.
Watch this edition of Carolyn’s Corner to learn how you can make Chicken Salad in your dorm room.
In this recipe, I used used nonfat Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. By substituting Greek yogurt for mayonnaise, we cut the fat by 30 grams! You can use Greek yogurt as a substitute for mayonnaise and sour cream in a variety of dishes.
- 4 tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Sprinkle of rosemary
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon Craisins
- 1/2 cup canned chicken
- Mix yogurt, mustard, rosemary, and pepper in one bowl until evenly combined.
- Mix apples, Craisins, and chicken in separate bowl.
- Combine the two mixtures, cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy the salad on whole wheat bread, as a spread on crackers or as is!