You are probably tired of hearing the saying “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” But there is truth to the statement! That is why dietitians encourage everyone to consume breakfast daily. Research has shown that students who eat breakfast have more energy, increased concentration, improved academic performance and better weight maintenance.
If you do not have time for breakfast in the morning, try preparing it the night before. A favorite recipe of mine is overnight oats. Packed with bone boosting calcium and fiber rich whole grains, this breakfast option is perfect on the go!
Watch this edition of Carolyn’s Corner to learn how you can make Overnight Oats right in your dorm room!
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup frozen fruit
- 1 teaspoon slivered nuts
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Move ingredients to a container with a jar or sealed lid.
- Refrigerate over night.
- In the morning, open and enjoy!
- Sprinkle with your choice of nuts for a dose of healthy fat.